Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I Really am Bad at Makeup

I'm not kidding about this. I can just some really basic looks and that's about it. I'm also, sadly, bad at photographing this (getting better). I love the really exciting and bright colors that some people use, but just about every time I try anything bright it turns out, I dunno, smoky. Which isn't a bad look but it'd be nice if I could aim for some look and actually GET the look I'm after.

(As far as foundation stuff goes, I think I mostly use J. Lynne foundation and primer powder.)

Here's what I did for the Med Fair:
This was mostly done using some of the samples I bought from Morgana's Cryptoria, which I really love. I can't remember everything I tried, but I know I tried to use Ectoplasm which is a lovely, bright green. Like, Slimer from Ghostbusters green. (If I were to be guessing at inspiration...)

Note: I currently do not own any mascara. This will be corrected soon, as well as getting some of the gel liner I've been recommended (I think it was Physician's formula?)

As an amusing sidenote, I occasionally get drunk and do my makeup. I have a folder that's labeled Drunken Makeup, and is full of pictures that are almost completely unusable. Here's what I did one night when I was really quite drunk (cropped because I look like a drunken idiot).



I didn't get any better pictures, which is sad, because this turned out really well (for me). It was done I think entirely from my Sephora palette. I didn't use any primer at all but I'm fairly certain that I used one of the cream eyeshadows that came in the Sephora palette as a base.

I have turned out only one look that came up vaguely bright, which was done (I think?) with Zombie Ambrosia and BeWitches from Morgana's Cryptoria, but this was like a month ago so my memory is sketchy at best. I need to take notes when I do these.



Part of what happens is I get makeup on and kinda freak out about how it looks. I'm going to try to continue to do makeup and post how it looks regardless of any makeup fails that came about.

I think I understand some of what I was doing wrong, in regards of application and how I'm using brushes. I do use primer NOW, I have Too Faced Shadow Insurance that I use.

I have ordered some shadow samples from Shiro Cosmetics new Science Collection, inspired entirely by the banner picture she used. I am going to attempt to do something like it. I also want to do a real dark black gothy thing with some red accenting, it's based off a character's tattoo from one of my favorite books. Yeah, I know, I have no clue how this will turn out, but it's something I want to try.

Any suggestions as to people to watch for tutorials, any obvious mistakes you can pick up from a photo, or smart ass remarks regarding my lack of skill are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. You're not horrible! Those looks are really pretty! Keep experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you're so sweet! I guess what I should have specified (and I mentioned but didn't emphasize) that my real trouble is when I start out I generally am trying to do one thing- something I want to be colorful and bright green, for example, turning out sagey and all right looking, but not what I intended.

    I will persevere, though! Eventually. Probably. :D

    ReplyDelete